When you put your key in the lock but it does not turn, you may find yourself locked out of your house. The problem with a lock will determine how you can get back inside.
In some cases, the issue may be a simple one that you can fix yourself while in other cases, the lock may be broken and require a locksmith to fix. These are some of the common causes of a lock that seems to be broken and the best way to fix the issue.
Reasons You Cannot Turn Your Lock with the Key
The first step you always want to take is to make sure you have the right key. This is a relatively common issue since many keys will fit into the same lock, but the pins will match up and the key will not turn. Systematically try all the keys on your keychain and be sure that you have the right one before assuming that the lock is broken.
Once you can be sure that the key is right and the problem is with the lock, these issues may be the cause if your key goes in all the way but the lock does not turn:
- Dust in the Cylinder – If dust has gotten into this cylinder, it can jam the pins and prevent them from shifting when you insert the key. Homeowners are often able to fix this issue themselves by spraying lubricant or WD-40 into the lock. Insert the key to help move the lubricant around and try the lock again.
- Frozen Locks – Although rare, we do get some extremely cold days in Dallas and the low temperatures can cause your lock to literally freeze in place. Try solving the issue by placing your key in a bowl of warm water and then inserting the key into the lock. The heat will often be enough to defrost locks.
- New Lock Does Not Work – If you have just had locks installed or rekeyed and the key is not turning the lock, the issue is likely with the quality of the key. You should get the keys recut from a dependable locksmith in Dallas.
There are also a few similar issues that prevent your door from locking or unlocking with your key. These include:
- Key Will Not Go in All the Way – This issue is often a result of damaged pins or a corroded cylinder.
- Key Turns But Door Never Unlocks – This is a significant problem with the locks.
Both of these issues will always require a professional locksmith to address who can determine if the lock can be repaired or needs to be replaced entirely.
911 Locksmith and Security is a leading Dallas locksmith with emergency and same day services. We also offer a full range of repair and installation services to correct any issues when locks at your home or business seem to be broken. Contact us to get started.